Feb 10, 2002
The enclosed information was given to me by Mr. Alton Janeway of Chattanooga in the mid 1980s. I was unaware of his information on Nancy Jane Hamic Warren until a couple of weeks ago when I made contact with a lady in NJ who has Hamic ties and doing research on her family. She had obtained the information on the Hamic File from one of Alton’s Relatives. Thus, she shared the info on Nancy with me.
The information on the portion pertaining to Gallatin (Galley) Hamic was put together by myself.
Hopefully some of this material is useful to you.
The above note and Xerox copies of his Hamic history was sent to me from Mr. Eugene Wesley Hamic after he found a query I had put on the Warren Page in 1999 on Robert Joseph Warren and his wife Nancy Jane Hamic. I sent him several photos and the section out of my Warren History pertaining to his family. I made soft copies of it and will add part of it to my Warren Family History with his permission.
Gene lives at 8213 Corteland Drive, Knoxville, TN 37909 and has a brother Ernest that lives in Huffman area of Birmingham, AL.
Joseph Hamic and wife Mary Ann Sandridge
in Bible Cemetery Rising Fawn, Georgia
Joseph Hamic, born January 17, 1824 in East Tennessee (Claiborn County), died February 23, 1904. He married Mary Ann Sandridge, October 10, 1850. She was born April 19, 1823 in Alabama and died July 8, 1999. They are buried in the Bible Cemetery, Rising Fawn, Georgia. Joseph was the son of Martin and Sarah Janeway Hamic. He was a farmer and lived in the Sulphur Springs area of Dade County, Georgia and DeKalb County, Alabama line. In fact, the 1870 and 1880 census has them living in DeKalb County, Alabama. Their children were:
1. William Martin Hamic, born February 4, 1852, died February 26, 1934. He married 1st, Mary Jane Bolden, born December 31, 1849, died July 15, 1916. Married 2nd, to Tinnie Ivey, born August 2, 1871, died October 18, 1930.
2. John Wesley Hamic, born March 2, 1853, died February 18, 1921. Married Eveline Stevens, September 2, 1875. She was born June 11, 1843 and died January 26, 1928.
3. James Samuel Hamic, born July 13, 1853, died November 10, 1854.
4. Mary Elizabeth Hamic, born October 11, 1855, died, 1896.
5. Joseph Hamic, born December 21, 1856, died May 24, 1859.
6. Sarah Arlena Hamic, born in Tennessee July 12, 1858, died March 18, 1930. She married James York in 1877 at Fort Payne, Alabama. He was born February 2, 1856 in DeKalb County, Alabama and died December 6, 1931. Arlena died March 18, 1930. They are both buried at Indian Creek Cemetery, Mineral Wells, Texas.
7. Nathaniel Hamic, born June 26, 1860, died January 13, 1930. He married Sarah Jane Beaty, August 9, 1883. She was born December 6, 1857, died May 13, 1925.
8. James Estes Hamic, born June 26, 1860 and died July 7, 1860. He was no doubt a twin as he and Nathaniel share the same birth date.
9. Gallatin Stevens Hamic, born January 10, 1862, died July 11, 1928. He married 1st Ellen Kirksey, June 10, 1883. She was born May 19, 1865 and died in 1892. Galley (Gallatin) married 2nd Charity E. Sandridge, February 18, 1894. She was born November 24, 1856 and died March 14, 1942. Charity is buried at Hytop, Alabama. Gallatin is buried in Ivey Cemetery on Crow Mountain above Fackler, Alabama.
10. Tuney Hamic, born March 20, 1863, died June 23, 1864.
11. Nancy Jane Hamic, born April 8, 1867.
John Wesley Hamic and wife Eveline Stevens
buried in the Bible Cemetery
John Wesley Hamic, born March 2, 1853 at Sulphur Springs, Alabama, died February 18, 1921. He married Eveline Stevens, September 2, 1875. She was the daughter of Washington Jackson Bible. She was born June 11, 1843 in Dade County, Georgia, died January 26, 1928. All are buried in the Bible Cemetery, Rising Fawn, Georgia. John Wesley was the son of Joseph and Mart Ann Sandridge Hamic, and grandson of Martin and Sarah Janeway Hamic. Their children were:
Washington Jackson Bible buried in Bible Cemetery
1. George Washington Bible, son of Evaline by a former marriage. He was born December 18, 1868, died May 27, 1935. He married Paralee ??, born January 6, 1871Rising Fawn, Georgia Died November 11, 1925
2. Rev. William Rice Hamic, Sr. born August 19, at Sulphur Springs, Alabama or Georgia, died November 16, 1928. He is buried in the Bible Cemetery, Rising Fawn, Georgia. He married Mary Gillreath, March 10, 1901, the daughter of Rev. Andrew and Sirepta Steel Gillreath. She was born September 26, 1880, died October 30, 1966 and is buried at Dunnellon, Florida. William Rice and wife, Mary taught school at Cloverdale in early life. A report card found dated 1908 reflected that they were teachers. William Rice Hamic was also a Gospel Minister in Dade County, Georgia, and Chattanooga, Tennessee area for several years. He was pastor of Avondale Baptist Church for 12 years, East Lake Baptist Church for 2 years and the Clifton Hill Baptist Church at the time of his death. Rev, Hamic had two sons and they were:
(1) James Miller Hamic, born June 30, 1902 at Sulphur Springs, Georgia, in Dade County. He died January 31, 1941. He married Delsena Baker July 4, 1922. She was born August 24, 1902, died November 23, 1982. They are both buried in Chattanooga Memorial Park Cemetery. Their children are:
a. Jeanette Hamic, born February 16, 1923 at Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. She married Gaetano Augustine Barile, June 22, 1947. He was born June 10, 1918 at Brooklyn, New York, Kings County, died June30 1982, buried at Mt Olive Cemetery, Chattanooga, Tennessee. Their children are:
1. Nancy Maria Barile, born June 12, 1948 at Brooklyn, New York, Kings County. She married Ralph Douglas Hullander, June 22, 1969.
2. Daniel Stephen Barlie, born February 2, 1952 at Brooklyn, New York, Kings County, He married Terry Schluter, September 3, 1983.
3. James Vincent Barlie, born July 31, 1965 at Chattanooga, Tennessee in Hamilton County.
3. William Rice Hamic, Jr., born July 28, 1905 at Sulphur Springs, Georgia, in Dade County, died December 17, 1967, buried at Dunellon, Florida. He married Marjorie Brooks, January 2, 1926. Their Children are:
(a) William Thomas Hamic, born April 29, 1927 at Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County.
(b) Herbert Benjamin Hamic, born March 19, 1929 at Rising Fawn, Georgia in Dade County.
(c) John Wesley Hamic, Born September 30, 1930 at Rising Fawn, Georgia in Dade County. He married Dora Brown, November 25, 1958. John Wesley is a Certified Public Accountant with offices in Dunnellon Florida and Lakeland, Florida.
(d) Hazle Hamic, born November 10, 1933 at Rising Fawn, Georgia in Dade County. Since this information was gathered some years ago, I’ve heard that Hazle has married but I do not have information concerning the marriage.
4. Rev. Steve N. Hamic, born March 2, 1882 at Sulphur Springs, Georgia, Dade County, died in 1963. He married Nancy Gillreath, the daughter of Rev. Andrew and Sirepta Steel Gillreath. She was born in 1888 and died in 1975. They are buried in Chattanooga Memorial Park Cemetery. Rev. Hamic taught school in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee most of his adult life. He spent 23 of his 48-year teaching career at Chattanooga High School. Mr. Hamic and Nancy have three children, they are:
(1) Gladys Hamic, married Mr. Broyles and was a teacher in the Chattanooga School System.
(2) Andrew Hamic – Daytona, Florida
(3) Julian Hamic – Denver, Colorado.
The Notley Mulraney and Mary Hamic Warren
family with Joseph and Mary Sandridge Hamic grandparents. Baby Lucy, Charley, Willie Hamic, and Joe
Mary Elizabeth Hamic
Mary Elizabeth Hamic, born October 11, 1855 near Rising Fawn, Georgia. She died in 1896. She married Notley Mulraney Warren, born December 29, 1856. She was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann Sandridge Hamic, and the grand daughter of Martin and Sarah Janeway Hamic. Their children were:
1. Joseph Warren, born October 1881. He married Armenda Beaty, the daughter of Joseph Beaty.
2. William Charles Warren, born August 1887. He served in the Alabama Legislature.
3. Lucy Annie Jarilla Warren, born November 20, 1890, died February 17, 1976. She married Nomand Curtis Avans, May 20, 1906. Mr. Avans was born August 29, 1877, died November 7, 1961. They are both buried in the Ivey Cemetery, Crow Mountain, Fackler, Alabama. Their children are:
(1) Flossie Cordova Avans, born March 7, 1907, died December 22, 1943. She is buried in Shipp Cemetery. She married Bill B. Talley. Their children are:
A. Opal Inez Talley, born April 28, 1924. She married J. W. Dryer
B. Fairy Alice Tally, born February 7, 1927.
C. Grady Talley, Jr., born April 25, 1929.
D. Lucy Mae Talley, born April 20, 1932.
E. Lula Faye Talley
F. Norman Talley
(2) Pearl Priscilla Avans, born January 31, 1910, in Arkansas, died August 19, 1984. She married Olen Jones. Their children are:
a. Kenneth Jones
b. Audrey Jones
c. Orlene Jones
d. Lorne Jones
e. Vester Jones
e. Joyce Jones
(3) Willie Lafae Avans, born September 6, 1912 in Arkansas, died August 23, 1980 He married Opal White.
(4) Edith Novella Avans, born September 19, 1914 in Arkansas. She married 1st Nathan Thackerson, born January 16, 1914 and died August 18, 1974. 2nd Samuel H. West.
(5) Albert Cicero Avens, born June 29, 1917 in Alabama. He married Ella Thackerson.
(6) Clark Archie Oscar Avans, born January 12, 1920. He married Wilma Parish.
(7) Leona Ruth Avans, born April 16, 1922. She married L. S. Knopps. December 20, 1941.
(8) Jobe Mulraney Avans, born August 12, 1924. He married Annie Kelley, January 1942.
(9) Charlie Curtis Avans, born March 17, 1927. He married Isabelle Stephens, May 10, 1944.
(10) Lucy Lois Avans, born May 20, 1929. She married Lindberg Evans
4. Alice Warren, born April 1892, married Zack Matthews
5. Cordelia (Cordie) Warren, born May 1895.
Sarah Arlena Hamic
Next door was Enoch York Sr. 80 yrs and wife Nancy 80 years sister Sylvania age 45 and sister Lutitia age 41
In the 1900 US Census of Palo Pinto County, Mineral Wells, Texas we find the James and Sarah A. Hamic family living next door to Henry W. Hill, Alexander Butler, Ramón Mills all related through marriage. The Hamic children were:
a. Martha J. 20 years old and single born June 1879 in Alabama.
b. Albert M.19 years old and single born August 1880 in Alabama.
c. Joseph Wallace. 16 years old and single born August 1883 in Alabama.
d. Emanda C. 14 years old and single born July 1885 in Alabama.
e. Nancy E. 13 years old and single born February 1887 in Alabama.
f. James A. 11 years old and single born January 1889 in Alabama.
g. Sarah E. 9 years old and single born June 1890 in Alabama.
h. Elistor T. 3 years old and single born June 1896 in Texas.
1. Charles S. 10/12 years old and single born July 1899 in Texas.
Gallatin Stevens Hamic, born January 10, 1862 at Rising Fawn, Georgia, in Dade County. He died July 11, 1928 is buried in Ivey Cemetery on Crow Mountain in Jackson County near Fackler, Alabama. He married 1st Ellen Kirksey, June 10, 1883. She was born May 19, 1865 and died in 1892. He married 2nd Charity E. Sandridge, February 19, 1894. She was born November 24, 1856 and died March 14, 1942. and is buried in Hytop Cemetery, Hytop, Alabama. Gallatin was the son of Joseph and Mary Ann Sandridge Hamic, and grandson of Martin and Sarah Janeway Hamic. Their children were:
1. Martin Erskine Hamic, born April 18, 1884 near Jasper, Tennessee, in Marion County. He died February 4, 1962 and is buried in Valhalla Cemetery at Fairfield, Alabama (Jefferson County) near Birmingham. He married (1st) Maggie Stalvey about 1907, (2nd) Sallie King Hamic, Born March 25, 1891 and died October 1983 and is buried in Valhalla Cemetery at Fairfield, Alabama near Birmingham. Their children are:
(1) Ethel Hamic, Born April 6, 1909 and died September 1965 in El Paso, Texas. She married Malcolm Melton in Jefferson County, Alabama. Ethel’s mother was Maggie Stalvey. Their children are:
a. William Melton, born in 1931 and lives in or near San Diego, CA.
b. James Neal Melton, born in 1934 and died in 1938. He is buried at Lipscomb, Alabama, near Bessemer.
(2) Edward Hamic, born about 1911 and died in infancy. His mother Maggie Stalvey Hamic died during or shortly after the birth of Edward.
(3) Estelle Hamic, born June 20, 1915, died March 15, 1996 at Whitmore Lake, Michigan. She is buried at Hillside Cemetery, Belleville, Michigan. Estelle is believed to have been born in Jackson County, Alabama. She married James McDougal on August 4, 1934 in Bessemer, Alabama. James McDougal died about 1989 and is buried at Hillside Cemetery, Belleville, Michigan. Estelle and James relocated from Bessemer, Alabama to the Detroit, Michigan area about 1940 where for the most part, James worked for automobile manufacturers. Much of the time they resided at Willis, Michigan, near Detroit. Their children are:
a. Margaret S. McDougal, born December 22, 1935, in Bessemer, Alabama, and died about 1988 and is buried at Mineral Springs, Alabama. She married Virgil Porter, born March 28, 1930 at Jemison, Alabama, in Chilton County. They married December 24, 1955. Their children are:
1. Russell Porter, born June 13, 1958. Russell graduated from Jemison High School at Jemison, Alabama in Chilton County. He married Karen Welch on October 16, 1983.
b. James Kenneth McDougal, born December 1, 1940 at Detroit, Michigan. James served in the U. S. Navy after graduating form High School. He married Mary Ann Hayley on August 21, 1965 at Detroit, Michigan. She was born on September 26, 1945. Their children are:
1. Kenneth James McDougal, born November 10, 1965, Detroit Michigan. Died in the late 1980’s.
2. Kimberly Ann McDougal, born July 6, 1969, Detroit, Michigan. She married Steve Levicki of Willis, Michigan and their children are:
a. Stephanie Ann Levicki, born August 30, 1996.
(4) Naomi Ruth Hamic, died in infancy.
(5) Edna Hamic, born July 2, 1918 at Caddo, Alabama, in Lawrence County. She married (1st) William Clyde Goodwin, born June 8, 1916, at Bessemer, Alabama. He died January 23, 1945 and is buried at Valhalla Cemetery, Fairfield, Alabama, near Birmingham. (2nd) William Lewis Rockett, born January 20, 1907, Bessemer, Alabama. He died in 1987 and is buried at Valhalla Cemetery, Fairfield, Alabama near Birmingham. Their children are:
a. Robert Clyde Goodwin, born March 4, 1937, at Fairfield, Alabama. He was educated in the Public School System in Shelby County, Alabama graduating from Thompson High School, and is a U. S. Navy veteran. He married (1st) Mildred Crystal Joyce George, born January 27, 1936 at Garrison, Kansas. They were married December 22, 1957 at Augusta, Kansas. (2nd) He married Mary Ann Baxa of Concordia Kansas, in October 1972. Their children are:
1. Robert Verne Goodwin, born July 10, 1960 in Wichita, Kansas. He married Lisa Elizabeth Queen on March 18, 1983 at Augusta, Kansas. Lisa was born January 29, 1965. Their children are:
a. Lyndsae Mishelle Goodwin, born September 20, 1983 at Wichita, Kansas.
2. Phyllis Lynne Goodwin, born August 21, 1962, Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County.
3. Curtis David Goodwin, born September 18, 1966 at Wichita, Kansas.
b. Mary Ann Goodwin, born January 1, 1939, at Bessemer, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Mary Ann was educated in the Public School system of Shelby County, Alabama, graduating from Thompson High School. She married Zane Nolen, also of Shelby County, Alabama. They had a successful career in the U. S. Navy serving over 20 years. After leaving the military service, they both served the United States State Department in Moscow, Russia. Their children are:
1. Debra Jean Nolen, born July 1, 1959 at Port Lyautey, Morocco. She married Don M. Walters and their children are:
a. Lauren Ashley Walters, born August 17, 1984, at Jefferson City, Missouri.
b. Joshua Ryan Walters, born September 4, 1985 at Raleigh, NC.
c. Tristian Elizabeth Walters, born December 4, 1987 at Pensacola, Florida.
2. Regina Renee Nolen, born May 6, 1964 at Norfolk, Virginia. She married Joe Hodges November 13, 1993 at Tallahassee, Fla., and their children are:
a. Gabrielle Olivia Hodges, born November, 1966.
(1) Edmond Martin Hamic, born February 20, 1920, in Jackson County, Alabama. He married Hilda Parker of Bessemer, Alabama in 1941. There were no children from this marriage. Edmond is fondly remembered for his family support and leadership during trying times for the Hamic family in the late 1930s and early 1940s. He served in the U. S. Army Air Corp and was killed in May 1943 while engaged in 8th Air Force bombing raids over Germany at the height of World War II. He was a crew member aboard a B-17 Flying Fortress and I’m told that his ship’s name was “Ole Tobe” named for an old mule that was one of our farm animals. This was a far cry from the more glorious name given to the “Memphis Belle” which was flying missions over Germany at that time.
(2) Edward Erskine Hamic, born August 24, 1922 at Caddo, Alabama in Lawrence County. Edward is a veteran of World War II serving from 1942 until 1946. He was a member of the 77th Infantry Division which was a vital force in the recapture of Guam from the Japanese in 1944. In 1950, Edward began a career with the U. S. Post Office Department (now the U. S. Postal Service) and served for 40 years before retiring a few years ago. He married Peggy Roundtree Ellard on August 18, 1973 and they reside near Pensacola, Florida.
(3) Ernest J. Hamic lives at Huffman, Alabama
(4) Eugene W. Hamic lives at 8213 Corteland Drive, Knoxville, TN., 37909.
Nancy Jane Hamic
Nancy Jane Hamic, born April 8, 1867, at Sulphur Springs, Alabama in DeKalb County. She died in the state of Texas. She married Robert Joseph Warren, who was born in DeKalb County, Alabama. In the latter part of the 1800’s, they moved to Texas and settled in Palo Pinto County. Nancy was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann Sandridge Hamic, and the granddaughter of Martin and Sarah Janeway Hamic. Nancy and Robert’s children are:
1. Luther Bains Warren. He married Gertrude??. Their children are:
(1) Luther Bains Warren, Jr. He married and had 4 children.
(2) Virginia Warren. She married and had 3 children.
2. Etta Jane Warren, born July 3, 1887, died January 17, 1967. She married William Dexter Hill, February 17, 1906. Their children are:
(1) Johnny Mitchell Hill, born November 23, 1906. He married Mammie Smith. Their children are:
a. Velma Dean Hill
b. Leeta Hill
c. Curtis Ray Hill
(2) Finis Lee Hill, born September 12, 1909. He married Rose Griffin. Their children are:
a. William Hill.
b. Betty Hill.
(3) Juriel Allen Hill, born April 2, 1913, died May 25, 198-. He married Catherine Wood in 1937. Their children are:
a. James Hill.
b. Nancy Hill
c. Juriel Hill, Jr.
(4) Muriel Alene Hill, born April 2, 1913. She married Raymond Horton in 1930. Their children are:
a. Douglas Horton
b. Wanda Horton
c. Gary Horton
(5) Dexter Cobb Hill, born December 20, 1915. He married Louise Matthews. Their children are:
a. Keith Hill
(6) Estes Hill, born September 15, 1917. He married Doris Sullivan. Their children are:
a. Lana Hill.
b. Brenda Hill.
c. Charles Dwight Hill. He married Juanita Judson. Their children are:
1. Pat Hill
(7) Ruby Hill, born October 14, 1920. She married Waldo Dickenson in 1939. Their children are:
a. Jerry Wayne Dickenson.
b. Linda Kaye Dickenson.
(8) Leta Mae Hill, born July 19, 1923. She married Vernon Walston. Their children are:
a. Jan Walston.
b. June Walston.
(9) Jo Helen Hill, born August 7, 1925. She married Tommy Wilkerson. Their children are:
a. Judy Wilkerson.
b. Janie Wilkerson.
c. Jeanette Wilkerson.
d. Tommie Jo Wilkerson. She married Dewayne Keener.
(10) Charles Elton Hill, born August 15, 1929. He married Charlotte Mason. Their children are:
a. Robert Hill, (deceased)
b. Debbie Hill.
c. Lyndon B. Hill.
3. Mary Edna Warren, born ??. She married John Raymond Franklin at Weatherford, Texas August 17, 1919. Their children are:
(1) John R. Franklin, Jr. born June 24, 1920 in Palo Pinto County, Texas. He married Blanche Wanette Mitchell at Jacksboro, Texas, March 8, 1948. She died February 25, 1982. Their children are:
a. Charlotte Franklin, born July 15, 1948. She married Franklin P. Johnson at Perrin, Texas, September 23, 1966. Their children are:
1. Latricia Beth Johnson.
2. Rhonda Lynn Johnson.
b. Geneva Marie Franklin, born September 16, 1949. She married William P. Dutton, July 29, 1969. Their children are:
1. W. Phillip Dutton
c. Johnnie Elaine Franklin, born November 5, 1950. She married Jack Richardson, July 12, 1969. Their children are:
1. Jack D. Richardson, Jr.
2. Amanda Elaine Richardson.
d. Ronnie Glen Franklin, born December 16, 1952. He married Joann Cowley, December 12, 1975. Their children are:
1. Gabriel Jefferson Franklin.
2. Kristina Jolynn Franklin.
(2) Bonnie Marie Franklin, born June 9, 1922. She married Orbin Starnes, October 6, 1942. Their children are:
a. Larry Starnes, born September 25, 1943. He married Elaine ??. They have 3 daughters.
c. James Starnes, born January 13, 1947. He married Sue Thornton. They have 1 son and 2 daughters.
d. Linda Starnes, born April 25, 1948. She married Jerry Thornton. They have 3 sons.
(3) Raymond H. Franklin, born January 24, 1923. He married Irene Davis, August 13, 1949. Their children are:
a. Raymond E. Franklin, born September 28, 1954. He married and has 2 daughters.
b. Marilyn J. Franklin, born October 13, 1956. She married in 1984.
c. Marsea Franklin, born May 26, 1962. She married in 1985.
d. Cheryl Franklin, born September 10, 1964. She married in 1986.
(4) Edna Doris Franklin, born March 11, 1925. She married W. D. Abernathie, June 18, 1950. He died May 10, 1979. Their children are:
a. David Warren Abernathie, born October 8, 19??. Died January 8, 1985.
(5) James Leslie Franklin, born August 23, 1927. He married Minnie Faye Brock, September 7, 1951. Their children are:
a. Mary Grace Franklin, born May 26, 1952.
b. Barbara Faye Franklin, born May 1, 1963.
(6) Alta Faye Franklin, born May 31, 1934. She married Clifford R. Morrow, August 17, 1957. Their children are:
a. Teresa Morrow, born June 28, 1959.
b. Rebecca Morrow, born September 11, 19??. She married Bill Adcock, August 14, 1982.
4. Rufus (Jack) Warren. He married and had one son. He was:
(1) Rufus Jack Warren, Jr.